Friday, February 17, 2006

What is a spinal patch like?

I realized that I mentioned the spinal patch without really describing that day. It was one of the worst days of my life. If a medical proceedure can really feel like rape, this one did. I wrote about this on the Hannah's Prayer support site, so I will just paste here what I wrote there...

I had complications to my c-section from Jordan. He died after 32 hours and I was back in the hospital two weeks later. I had what they called a "seroma" which is when fluid collects under the skin at the sight of the incision. I had to have this drained every three days. It was horribly painful. They say it was most likely caused because I was up and walking so soon after my c-section (I had to get to and from the NICU). The other complication I had was that the hole left in my spine by the spinal block needle did not close. My spinal fluid was leaking and I had TERRIBLE neck and head aches. More terrible than I can explain.

March 25, the day after Jordan's funeral, I had to be hospitalized. The proceedure is called a blood patch, spinal patch or epidural patch. The doctor drew blood from my arm to inject it into my spine. The hope being that the blood would clot and close the hole in my spine.The doctor doing that proceedure was one I had never met. I asked if Charles could stay with me, he gave me a short NO and wheeled me out.

The sweetest nurse ever held my hand as the doctor was speaking to me. I had mentioned to them that Jordan died and about the painful seroma. The doctor said, "Why do you want this proceedure anyway? Do you really think it is going to help?"
I said, "I don't really know anything about this proceedure. My doctor recommended it because since my c/s I have had terrible neck and head pain."
He said, "Well, most women who need this proceedure don't wait so long. Are you sure you really need it? I think if you really needed it, you would have come in sooner."
I said, "Well, I was planning my sons funeral which was just yesterday."
He said, "Well, if I can't talk you out of it than lets get it over with so I can leave. This isn't how I want to spend my Friday night."
The nurse was whispering in my ear, "You will be ok sweetie, I am so sorry he is being like this." She put a tray in front of me and said to lean against it. I did as instructed with my bare back to the doctor. She drew the blood and handed him the needle. Then she got right in front of me and made eye contact with me holding both of my hands in hers. She whispered, "This is going to be painful. I am here, you can do this."
Then the doctor shoved the needle so hard into my spine that I fell forward onto the table and hit my face on it. I was so afraid when that happened that I could have put my spine at greater risk because I moved, but it was impossible not to fall he shoved me so hard. Because I had the seroma it literally felt like my insides were falling out. I can't describe the intense pain I was feeling. I usually have a high pain tollerance. I have had three natural vaginal deliveries without any pain meds whatsoever without ever screaming or moaning. But when he shoved that needle in and I collapsed I let out the sadest moan of my life. It was as if all of the pain of Jordan's death mixed with all of the pain of the c/s and this proceedure and it all came out in a single cry. The nurse continued to whisper, "I am so sorry I am so sorry hold on, I am so sorry." Finally when he was done he walked out and she laid me on my back and told me not to move at all for five hours.

This man was just so cruel. I don't understand what happens with people in life that cause some to be compassionate and caring and others to be so cruel. It isn't as if I felt I deserved special treatment because of my loss and pain issues. I did want to be treated like a human being though, and I do not believe I received that treatment from him.

I wish I could find the name of this angel of a nurse. If I knew who she was, I would send her a rose every day of my life.

After the proceedure it took about two days for my spinal fluid to build up to the point that the neck, head and back pain would leave. However, it took two months for the bruising on my back to go down. I couldn't even lean against a hard chair or lean over very far because of the pain he left me.

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny, I'm so sorry that you had to put up with such a horrible Dr. I had a blood patch after Paige was born. Paige was born May 12 I got out the hospital May 13 and went in on the 14 for my blood patch. Take Care Jenny

Love ya, Monica

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Jenny a medical procedure CAN be like rape. I know that one all too well.

I'm sorry that "doctor" was such an _____ to you. I don't understand it, I don't get it, I never can understand how someone who is there at some of the most tender and important times in our lives can be so cruel and callous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home